It’s officially December, which means that it’s officially Nutcracker Season, at least according to NYC-ARTS: The Complete Guide. The guide to all things art in NYC highlights not one, not two, but fourteen productions of the iconic holiday ballet happening across the city. NYC-ARTS says, “The Sugar Plum Fairy, dancing rodents led by a mouse soldier, the young heroine Clara and Tchaikovsky’s score have become a holiday favorite in New York, drawing hundreds of thousands of people to the ballet.”
From traditional adaptations to more contemporary takes on the show, NYC has no shortage of performances of The Nutcracker. Here are the various renditions of the iconic holiday ballet, happening in New York this month:
- New York City Ballet: George Balanchine’s “The Nutcracker.” David H. Koch Theater, Manhattan (November 29th-January 4th).
- DCPP Presents The Nutcracker. Peter Jay Sharp Theater, Manhattan (December 7th, one day only).
- The Yorkville Nutcracker by Dances Patrelle. Kaye Playhouse, Hunter College, CUNY, Manhattan (December 5th-December 8th).
- Ballet for Young Audiences presents The Nutcracker. 92nd Street Y, Manhattan (December 11th-December 20th).
- Gelsey Kirkland Ballet: The Nutcracker. Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts at Pace, Manhattan (December 12th-15th).
- Manhattan Youth Ballet – The Knickerbocker Suite. Manhattan Movement and Arts Center, Manhattan (December 13th-15th).
- American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker. Peter Jay Sharp Theater, Brooklyn (December 13th-December 22nd).
- Joffrey Ballet School: The Nutcracker. NYC Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, Manhattan (December 13th-January 15th).
- New York Theatre Ballet Presents: Keith Michael’s The Nutcracker. Florence Gould Hall Theater, Manhattan (December 14th-December 22nd).
- The Nutcracker: A Contemporary Look. Peridance Contemporary Dance Company, Manhattan (December 14th and 15th).
- Nutcracker Rouge. Minetta Lane Theater, Manhattan (Through January 5th).
- The Nutcracker: A Contemporary Ballet. Ailey Citigroup Theater at the Joan Weill Center for Dance, Manhattan (December 14th and 15th).
- The Colonial Nutcracker. Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts, Brooklyn (December 15th).
- The Brighton Ballet Theater, School of Russian American Ballet presents The Nutcracker. Kingsborough Community College Performing Arts Center, Brooklyn (December 21st).
What do you think about this vast array of performances of the iconic ballet? Will you try and catch one or more of these renditions of The Nutcracker?